[LLVMdev] [HEADSUP] Another attempt at CallInst operand rotation

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 30 14:31:04 PDT 2010

Gabor Greif wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am almost ready for the last step with landing my long-standing patch.
> I have converted (almost) all low-level interface users of CallInst to
> respective high-level interfaces. What remains is a handful of hunks
> to flip the switch.
>
> But before I do the final commit I'd like to coerce all external users
> to code against the high-level interface too. This will (almost, but
> see below) give us static guarantees that out-of-tree code remains
> functional across this transition.
>
> Here is my attack plan:
>
> I will fire two rounds,
> - the first will catch all instances of CallInst::get/setOperand(0, ...)
>    and suggest using get/setCalledValue (or getCalledFuntion).
> - the second will make all low-level operand accessors private
>    in CallInst, and thus give external clients the chance to use
>    *ArgOperand* versions. This will be well-commented in the
>    header, explaining the recommended way of accessing
>    arguments.

Stupid question: is making the getOperand() method of CallInst going to
work?  For example, if I have the following code:

void
method (Instruction * I) {
    I->getOperand(2);
}

void method2 (CallInst * CI) {
    method (CI);
}

Will method() still work when you make CallInst::getOperand() private?

-- John T.