[LLVMdev] blog post: TCE project: Co-design of application-specific processors with LLVM-based compilation support

Pekka Jääskeläinen pekka.jaaskelainen at tut.fi
Wed Jun 30 03:06:56 PDT 2010

Hi,

On 06/29/2010 11:10 PM, orthochronous wrote:
> I'll ask here (rather than the TCE list) because it's more about your
> use of LLVM rather than TCE. One thing that's I'd be interested to
> know, given that your application has different "expectations" to a
> conventional processor, is how things are architected: does your code
> "take control" and call LLVM routines or did you make everything your
> TCE engine fit the interface of a conventional LLVM backend? It also

Currently it "takes control" and we have a tool similar to what llc
is, except with some small tweaks needed due to the runtime
retargetability etc. There has been plans to make it unnecessary so we
could use llc directly (mainly the generated backends that need to
be loaded as plugin modules), but you know how it is, if it works OK as is,
there're usually some more important things to spend one's time on :)

> sounds like you've got only one transition from "LLVM standard
> expectations representation" to "TTA representation" in the pipeline:
> is that correct?

Yes.

--
Pekka