[LLVMdev] Strange pointer aliasing behaviour

Eugene Toder eltoder at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 15:19:37 PDT 2010

I think scev-aa does not succeed on the original example, because
front ends do not put "nsw" on signed addition, so according to llvm
rules addition can overflow and i can be < 0.
Also, if original example used unsigned type (e.g. size_t, which is
very common), I don't think ir can express the fact that i is
guaranted to be >= 0.

Another line of reasoning is that if
sizeof(i)*8+log2(sizeof(_data[0])) > address_size_in_bits, overflowing
i requires going out of bounds when storing to _data[i] (because
address space can't contain objects large enough). Can this be used
for alias analysis?

Eugene