[LLVMdev] Why code doesn't speed up much with optimization level increase?

Curtis Faith curtis_faith at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 16:01:43 PDT 2010

It seems to me that you're not running any LLVM IR optimization passes before JIT'ing the code.

In my code, I have:

PassManager*		m_PassManager;

// Adds the same module passes as -O3. Copied from opt.cpp in the
// llc - llvm compiler codeline.
Pass *inliningPass = createFunctionInliningPass();
createStandardModulePasses(	m_PassManager, 3,
				/*OptimizeSize=*/ false										/*UnitAtATime=*/ true,
				/*UnrollLoops=*/ true,
				/*SimplifyLibCalls=*/ true,
				/*HaveExceptions=*/ true,
				inliningPass );

( the 3 is the optimization level) and then later:

// Run the optimization passes for the module.
m_PassManager->run( *m_Module );

I also optionally have a call to:

m_PassManager->add( createPrintModulePass( &dbgs() ) );

before this which outputs the pre-optimized code to the debug stream. I dump the module after running the optimization passes and it's pretty easy to see what changes have been made to the LLVM IR.  They are generally quite significant as the optimizer passes do some amazing things.

createStandardModulePasses

is the code used by llc to optimize the LLVM IR, so passing a 3 as the optimization level parameter is the equivalent to passsing -O3 to llc. It adds a ton of different optimization passes. You can find the code for it in the file opt.cpp.

- Curtis