[LLVMdev] Disabling assertions in llvm.org releases

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Mon Jun 21 01:18:02 PDT 2010

Hi Torok,

> I am running with assertions enabled and it was very useful in finding
> bugs on platforms I can't (or rarely) test on.
> Had assertions been off I think bad/invalid code would have been
> generated silently, resulting in a much harder to debug segfault.

are you using the binaries supplied by llvm.org, or building yourself?  There
is a big difference between what is useful for developers (i.e. helpful back
traces etc) and what is useful for users (i.e. speed).  Since developers
typically build LLVM themselves, they can always turn assertions on.

Ciao,

Duncan.