[LLVMdev] Is there any general way to figure out dynamically allocated points?

Xiaolong Tang xiaolong.snake at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 13:57:32 PDT 2010

Hey,

I need to approximate the run-time objects of a program. It is up to
the compiler's front-end to make the decision on how to translate the
new-expressions in C++, however. This obfuscates the way to figure out
dynamically allocated program points in the middle-end (e.g. LLVM).

So I am wondering if there is any general way to do so? Does the
front-end provide any hint(s) to the middle-end to facilitate to do so?

Particularly, can I distinguish the call arising from the
new-expression from various calls if I use llvm-g++ as the front-end?

PS: Under llvm-g++, a new expression is translate into this function
call:
  call i8* @_Znam(..)

Best,
Xiaolong