[LLVMdev] Undefined symbol when loading pass

Will Dietz willdtz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 17:28:10 PDT 2010

Hi again,

Firstly, thanks to "Reid" from the llvm IRC, he was rather helpful in
resolving this issue.

For everyone's benefit, I'll explain the solution (and the problem in
slightly more detail).

Essentially it would appear plugins are (indeed) tasked with only
containing symbols for the code they use and explicitly not those the
tool loading them already uses.  In my example, I needed
Triple::Parse, but couldn't just link in all of LLVMSupport because
then wonky things happen since opt has it's own definitions for many
of symbols in LLVMSupport.

The solution is to just explicitly link against exactly the *.o's that
contain the pieces you need and nothing more.

To be completely clear, in my case:

LDFLAGS = $(LLVM_OBJ_ROOT)/lib/Support/$(BuildMode)/Triple.o

Fixed things up.

If you can't do this on a *.o granularity, more linking magic is
required, and if you want your plugin to work in multiple tools (which
each presumably have different subsets of the LLVM symbol set) you
might end up creating tool-specific plugins that contain the proper
symbols.  Or ship your own version of the tools that link your plugin
in directly.  Or something less crazy I'm not thinking of.

Anyway, hopefully that helps someone else who might run into a similar
situation :).

Thanks all,

~Will