[LLVMdev] Adding fields in a already built type? (2)

Stéphane Letz letz at grame.fr
Tue Jun 15 12:45:29 PDT 2010

Le 15 juin 2010 à 21:14, Chris Lattner a écrit :

> On Jun 15, 2010, at 11:51 AM, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>
>>> Nope, types are immutable once created.  The only thing you can do is "refine" opaque types to other types.  There is a section in the programmer's manual on this:
>>> http://llvm.org/docs/ProgrammersManual.html#TypeResolve
>>>
>>> -Chris
>>

>> So I succeeded  in using a "PATypeHolder" for the "opaque" type, define a Type* with PointerType::getUnqual, prepare a field,  then use " refineAbstractTypeTo " to built the real type with this added field.
>>
>> The thing is that I would need to do that repeatedly, that is progressively adding fields, generates code that access those ready fields, and "refine" the type step by step.
>>
>> Is that even possible?
>
> It would work, but sounds really inefficient.  What are you really trying to do here?
>
> -Chris

inefficient : do you mean because all users of the refined type would have to be "notified" ?

The reason is that our code generator generates a struct (progressively adding fields) and generates code that access this struct (that is : the fields that are already added). If we cannot create the struct progressively, then we have to define a pass to build the complete struct, then define a second pass to generate the code. If we can simply create the struct progressively at LLVM level, then it make our code simpler.

Thanks

Stéphane Letz