[LLVMdev] Void values

Patrick Walton pwalton at mozilla.com
Fri Jun 11 15:43:01 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm interested in adding support for void values (i.e. unit types) to
LLVM. Currently, "void" is only allowed as the return value of a
function, and numerous assertions are in place to check this.

This document [1] that Google pulled up seems to suggest that this idea
was planned:

 > Finally, one annoying, but trivial, nuance of the LLVM type-system is
 > the 'void' type, which is only currently allowed as the return value
 > of a function. Special cases like this should be eliminated.

Is this still the case, and if so, is there any work being done on this
already?

Thanks!
Patrick

[1] http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/LLVMNotes/MultipleReturnValues.txt