[LLVMdev] Why are LLVM libraries enormous?

Trevor Harmon Trevor.W.Harmon at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 28 12:22:03 PDT 2010

On Jul 27, 2010, at 4:11 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> Why would be relevant that XCode produces library
> files smaller than Visual Studio? Its comparing apples to oranges.

The size of static libraries is relevant because it places an upper
bound on the size of the executable. Otherwise we can only speak
anecdotally about "typical" executables that use "some" of the LLVM
features.

As for the apples-to-oranges comparison between GCC output and Visual
Studio output, having additional data points from other environments
may be helpful in understanding whether a size issue affects all
platforms or is specific to Visual Studio.

Trevor