[LLVMdev] gcc 4.2 to llvm-gcc 4.2 transition

Alexandre Colucci timac at timac.org
Sat Jul 24 13:51:48 PDT 2010

Thanks for the answers. We will first switch our build system to 10.6 and Xcode 3.2.x and then probably switch our projects to llvm-gcc 4.2.

>> - we find a way to update the llvm-gcc 4.2 version in Xcode 3.1.4. I haven't investigated this point yet. Does anyone know if this is possible at all?
>
> This is definitely possible, but you have to build your own copy of llvm-gcc off llvm.org.  This will give you a configuration that Apple will not support, but it should work fine.

I will check if I can make a custom build of llvm-gcc to use on MacOSX 10.5 with Xcode 3.1.4. This would only be used if we need to boot on 10.5 to fix 10.5-only issues with our products.
As long as we can easily compile and debug our code on 10.5, I'm fine with that.

> Clang should be very compatible with GCC and its extensions, except that it is more pedantic about enforcing C++ language rules.  One major feature not supported by clang yet is "microsoft/codewarrier style inline assembly".  Since you are apparently using this, Clang sounds like a non-starter for you for now.

We are indeed using microsoft/codewarrior inline assembly. This is another reason why we can't currently use Clang.

>> - I am not sure if clang can generate code that runs on 10.5.
>
> It can, but it does not support powerpc (llvm-gcc does).

ppc is not really an issue. We plan to drop support for it soon. Also we can't use Clang anyway.

Keep up the good work on Clang,
Alexandre