[LLVMdev] gcc 4.2 to llvm-gcc 4.2 transition

Alexandre Colucci timac at timac.org
Sat Jul 24 10:15:53 PDT 2010

There are several reasons why I am currently not considering the transition to Clang (although I would love to switch to it):

- Clang (LLVM compiler 2.x) is only integrated by default in Xcode 4 which has not been released yet. I guess it might be possible to use Clang in Xcode 3.2 and Xcode 3.1.

- Clang is a new compiler and the C++ support is really new and might contain bugs. Moreover Apple recommends to use llvm-gcc 4.2. The default compiler with Xcode 4 will be llvm-gcc 4.2 and not clang.

- Our code is mostly written in C++. The LLVM 1.0 compiler included in Xcode 3.2.x can't compile C++ code and falls back to llvm-gcc 4.2.So even If we switch to LLVM 1.0, it is very likely that we will get the exact same issues as if we switch to llvm-gcc 4.2.

- Some of our code (or third party code we use) contains gcc predefined macro and we also have some third party libraries. With llvm-gcc we would keep the gcc parser which means less compatibility issues.

- I am not sure if clang can generate code that runs on 10.5.

Alexandre