[LLVMdev] DIFactory

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Wed Jul 14 13:04:01 PDT 2010

On 14 July 2010 18:21, Devang Patel <devang.patel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Use Create* methods to create basic debug info. There is not any
> tutorial document explaining how to generated basic debug info.

I got that far... ;)

I could prepare a how-to when I'm finished, if that interests you.

> It is encapsulating how debug info is encoded. Earlier it was using
> GlobalVariable, now it uses MDNode. The idea is that debug info user
> will only rely on DIDescriptor class hierarchy to manipulate debug
> info. The classes in this hierarchy are light weight enough to pass
> around as objects.

The problem with that is that you can't do:

DIDescriptor file = factory->CreateFile(...);

You have to get the type of file to be DIFile.

When creating a Subprogram, you can't pass a DIFile object, but only a
DIDescriptor, so you have to:

DIDescriptor* desc = &file;
factory->CreateSubprogram(*desc, ...);

Also, because they're not pointers, you can't use cast, as you would
when passing arguments to IRBuilder.

I understand that the objects are lightweight, thus the ability to
pass them as objects, but some casting could be allowed, especially to
DIDescriptor (copy ctor? new and assignment operators?).

> Debug info is encoded in llvm IR as MDNodes. And all MDNodes from a
> Module, just like any other llvm values, are automatically emitted
> when the Module is written to a bitcode file.

Weird, I wasn't getting the metadata before I started forcing
ModuleDebugInfoPrinterPass via PassManager. Could be other changes I
did, too, will check.

--
cheers,
--renato

http://systemcall.org/

Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at