[LLVMdev] Why -jit-emit-debug doesn't work with gdb-7.1 ?

Reid Kleckner reid.kleckner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 13:16:08 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:
> On 06/21/2010 18:01, Reid Kleckner wrote:
>>
>> One thing you could do as a temporary work around is to link with LLVM
>> statically.  There's already an open bug where if the JIT is in a
>> shared library, then you cannot run the program twice under gdb
>> without restarting gdb, which is really annoying.
>>
>> This affects me, and I do intend to fix it eventually.  I'm not sure
>> if it's the same as your problem though.
>>
>> Reid
>>

> Did you have a chance to fix this issue with gdb failing to debug
> libLLVM-2.8svn.so as a shared lib?
> I keep hitting this issue. Older gdb for some reason doesn't see llvm::*
> types which makes debugging difficult. And I can't really link with LLVM
> statically.

No.  This isn't really work related for me now, so I haven't tried
tackling it on my workstation.  For the summer I only have access to
my MacBook, which isn't an ELF target.  Recently I've had more spare
time to push these kinds of patches to random projects through, so I
might get to it next week.

Reid