[LLVMdev] Distribution in assembler format

Samuel Crow samuraileumas at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 29 12:40:27 PST 2010

Hi again,

My point is that your code could not be written in C++ at this time because the only complete compiler for C++ is LLVM-GCC.  It will do little endian optimizations on your x86 box and make the resultant bitcode file not work on the ARM processor.  It is possible to write an endian-agnostic bitcode file but I don't think all modern LLVM compilers support it.  Also the FAQ also indicates other problems with preprocessor macros and
other evil things that make C inherently not suitable for exporting to
platform-independent bitcode.

I'm in the process of trying to make a compiler that generates architecture independent bitcode but C and C++ don't have that functionality and cannot be made cross-architecture compliant.  At the moment my partner is writing a customized parser generator for LLVM.  Since the bitcode it generates was originally written using LLVM-GCC we'll have to audit the LLVM Assembly code for endian discrepancies by hand before we release the full version 1.0 of LLVM-PEG.

The endian problem is not with LLVM's optimizer, the problem is with the LLVM-GCC toolchain and certain aspects of the C programming language itself.

--Sam