[LLVMdev] llc generated machine assembly code for NASM

Dustin Laurence dllaurence at dslextreme.com
Thu Jan 28 11:51:55 PST 2010

On 01/28/2010 11:41 AM, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:

> The required efforts equal to ones required to write new assembler.
> "Too weak to be usable" means "it's not possible to represent many
> important constructs with masm/nasm/fasm".

Wow.  It's perhaps too much of a distraction, but I'm curious about the
details of this.  It's probably because it's first mission is to be a
compiler back-end, but the common wisdom is that gas is bare-bones and
masm is featureful.  Clearly that doesn't hold for what LLVM needs, and
you imply it's true for the whole family of assemblers that use Intel
syntax.  Very surprising to those of us (well, me anyway) with minimal
time writing actual assembly.

Is any of this documented somewhere I can just go off and read, or is it
just lore in the LLVM community?

Dustin