[LLVMdev] ambiguity of .align

Edmund Grimley Evans Edmund.Grimley-Evans at arm.com
Tue Jan 26 02:33:18 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 02:43, Sandeep Patel wrote:
> Assuming you're working with an ARM target, you may also hit a problem
> with the alignment option on the .comm directive.
>
> Attached is a first-cut patch for this latter problem.

The particular version of the GNU assembler that I'm using doesn't
accept an alignment argument to .lcomm. It does accept an alignment
argument to .comm, but this is a number of bytes rather than a number of
address bits.

http://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/gas-2.9.1/html_chapter/as_7.html
suggests that the third argument to .comm (and perhaps, by analogy, the
third argument to .lcomm) is always a number of bytes. So
COMMDirectiveAlignmentIsInBytes might not be needed.

Edmund

--
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.