[LLVMdev] How to create a CallInst that calls a standard c function like "printf"

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 21 08:03:41 PST 2010

Mary_nju wrote:
> SOS!!!
> It is really an emergency problem for me to resolve, if anyone knows the
> answer, please let me know, I will
> appreciate it, thank you very much!

The way to do this is to write code to do two things:

1) Write code that will insert a new function named printf that has no body.
2) Write code that will insert a call instruction (CallInst) that will
call the printf function you created in step 1.

After running your transform, you should generate native code and then
link against the C library.  The function with no body will be resolved
during the final native code link.  The JIT will automatically do this
for you.  If you're doing static compilation, you use llc to generate
native assembly code from the bitcode (.bc file) and then use gcc to
assembly the output and link it with standard libraries.

Looking at your code, you seem to have done this.  The only problem is
that you named the function "myprintf" instead of "printf".

-- John T.