[LLVMdev] Can I port LLVM as a source-to-source compiler?

Junchao Zhang junchao.zhang at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 19:58:42 PST 2010

Hello,
I am working in a project on a parallel programming language. I want to base
our language on Java or C/C++. But Java is preferred.

Many similar projects adopts a source-to-source methodology, e.g., Berkeley
UPC(using Open64), Titanium, and Rice University's Co-array Fortran. They
output C code with calls to the runtime.  I think there are at least three
reasons: 1) using C as the output, it gets more portability. 2) leverage the
front ends of existing compilers. 3) leverage optimizations in existing
compilers.

I wonder if LLVM is suitable for this kind of work. Can LLVM experienced
users give me some hints on this topic?

Thanks in advance.

Junchao Zhang