[LLVMdev] Variable declarations vs. definitions

Dustin Laurence dllaurence at dslextreme.com
Sat Jan 9 18:04:00 PST 2010

On 01/09/2010 01:20 PM, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
> Hello, Dustin
>
>> To be clear: remember I'm using Stone Knives here. :-)
> In some cases it's better to realize that it's year 2010 now. :)

What do you have against digital primitive living? :-)

Actually, there is sort of some truth to that joking phrase.  I am sort
of treating this as a conceptual analog of the old days where your first
task with your new 8-bit "personal computer" was to fire up the
assembler and start writing your system.  If people could do that I
should be man enough to do something simpler like write a minimal lisp
or forth in the far more congenial LLVM IR, right?

> Just write small snippet in C and use llvm-gcc -emit-llvm to emit LLVM
> IR corresponding to it. You can use e.g. http://llvm.org/demo/ for
> this.

I'll make a note to try that before giving up next time.  Actually my
self-imposed rules don't restrict me using any tool for understanding.
It's not a cheat if I learn it well enough to apply it by hand.

Kind of like writing a paper--you can (and should) steal ideas and style
from Shakespeare, Isaiah, and Abraham Lincoln, you just can't steal
their words. :-)

In theory, I'll understand LLVM's machine model pretty well when I'm done.

Dustin