[LLVMdev] First-class aggregate semantics

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Fri Jan 8 21:32:22 PST 2010

Dustin Laurence wrote:
> On 01/07/2010 06:03 PM, Alastair Lynn wrote:
>
>> You'll probably need to use insertvalue to construct your return value.
>>

> Ah ha!
>
> The fact is I didn't really understand the significance of this part
> when I read it, and so didn't remember it when I needed it.  OK, so I
> have tested it and I can now build up a struct like this
>
>     %s1 = insertvalue {i32, i32} {i32 0, i32 0}, i32 1, 0 ; s1 = {1,0}
>     %s2 = insertvalue {i32, i32} %s1, i32 2, 1            ; %s2 == {1,2}

As a small refinement, I recommend:

%s1 = insertvalue {i32, i32} undef, i32 1, 0
%s2 = insertvalue {i32, i32} %s1, i32 2, 1
> which reminds me of another thing I never understood.  I can't make my
> code (slightly) more readable by changing that to something like
>
>     %s0 = {i32 0, i32 0}
>     %s1 = insertvalue {i32, i32} %s0, i32 1, 0     ; s1 = {1,0}
>     %s2 = insertvalue {i32, i32} %s1, i32 2, 1     ; %s2 == {1,2}

No, there is no copy or move instruction in LLVM. Recall that the text
format is 1:1 with the in-memory model of the program. A copy
instruction in the IR would literally mean "go look at my operand
instead", leading to logic in every optimization that checks for a
CopyInst and chases the pointer.

The astute reader will note that I'm lying again, but it's for your own
good. ;-) "%x = bitcast i32 %y to i32" is a legal way to copy, but the
intention behind a BitcastInst is that it is used to change the type.

Nick