[LLVMdev] LLVM bitcode for cross-platform plugins

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Sat Feb 27 00:01:20 PST 2010

Alex Zolotov wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Is it possible to use LLVM bitcode format for storing cross-platform
> plugins (for example, sound synths)?

Yes. However, see the caveats in
http://llvm.org/docs/FAQ.html#platformindependent .

As to sound synths, I think Aldrin stores its DSPs as llvm bitcode. Or
at least paniq was asking the same questions as you :)
http://blog.largemind.com/2007/01/aldrin-is-linux-software-of-month.html

  Can newest LLVM understand bitcode
> from previous versions?

Yes. We provide backwards compatibility through an entire major series
(ie., 2.x). That means that since the initial release in 2003, we've
only broken backwards compatibility once when moving from llvm 1.9 to 2.0.

Nick