[LLVMdev] Possible SelectionDAG Bug

Dan Gohman gohman at apple.com
Fri Feb 26 17:09:01 PST 2010

On Feb 26, 2010, at 2:07 PM, David Greene wrote:

> On Friday 26 February 2010 10:34:41 David Greene wrote:
>> On Friday 26 February 2010 09:55:32 David Greene wrote:
>>> In the continuing quest to try to track down problems we're seeing
>>> in
>>> SelectionDAG, I added the following assert
>>> toSelectionDAG::ReplaceAllUsesOfValuesWith:
>>
>> Here's a patch to add more of these deleted node asserts.  They fire
>> tons of times in the testbase.
>
> Ping?  Just want to make sure this didn't get missed somehow.  I'm
> surprised to see no discussion.

I've now looked at your latest patch.  In summary, it does expose a
subtle problem. I haven't seen anything that here would lead to
observable misbehavior yet though.

X86GenDAGISel.inc has code like this:

   SDValue N1 = N->getOperand(1);
   SDNode *ResNode = CurDAG->SelectNodeTo(N, ...);
   ReplaceUses(SDValue(N1.getNode(), 1), SDValue(ResNode, 2));

If N was the only user of N1, and N1 isn't in the new operand list, then
the SelectNodeTo call will make N1 dead. SelectNodeTo will automatically
delete nodes that are made dead by the transformation. This means that
the "from" node in the subsequent ReplaceUses call will be a deleted
node
in that case.

This doesn't break in practice because deleted node aren't actually
deallocated, they're just put on a linked list of nodes ready to be
reused next time a new node is created, and no new nodes are created
between the SelectNodeTo call and the ReplaceUses call.

Another observation here is that the ReplaceUses call in such cases
doesn't do anything, because the From node has no uses.

Perhaps this can be fixed by making the code skip the ReplaceUses
call in the case where there are no uses to replace.  That's not trivial
to detect though.

Dan