[LLVMdev] Trouble with sample project template (Autoconf problem?)

Trevor Harmon Trevor.W.Harmon at nasa.gov
Wed Feb 24 11:04:02 PST 2010

I'm just getting started with an LLVM-based project, using the Sample
template as a guide:

   http://llvm.org/docs/Projects.html#create

But I can't even get the Sample project itself to build without
errors. It works fine if I do "configure" and then "make", but if I
run "AutoRegen.sh" first, then do "configure", I get:

   configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in ../../../
autoconf "."/../../../autoconf

I noticed that this newly generated configure is substantially
different from the pre-generated one provided with LLVM. The former is
based on Autoconf 2.63, while the latter is based on Autoconf 2.59 (a
somewhat old release from 2003).

Also, if I export the sample directory to someplace outside the LLVM
source tree, I can get AutoRegen.sh to work, but then "make" fails:

   $ svn export . ~/sample
   $ cd ~/sample/autoconf
   $ ./AutoRegen.sh
   LLVM source root not found.
   Enter full path to LLVM source:/Users/twharmon/Development/LLVM/src/
llvm-trunk/llvm
   Enter full path to LLVM objects (empty for same as source):/Users/
twharmon/Development/LLVM/llvm/
   Regenerating aclocal.m4 with aclocal
   configure.ac:4: warning: AC_INIT: not a literal: [[SAMPLE]]
   configure.ac:4: warning: AC_INIT: not a literal: [[x.xx]]
   Regenerating configure with autoconf
   configure.ac:4: warning: AC_INIT: not a literal: [[SAMPLE]]
   configure.ac:4: warning: AC_INIT: not a literal: [[x.xx]]
   $ cd ..
   configure: creating ./config.status
   config.status: creating Makefile.common
   config.status: executing setup commands
   config.status: executing Makefile commands
   config.status: executing lib/Makefile commands
   config.status: executing lib/sample/Makefile commands
   config.status: executing tools/Makefile commands
   config.status: executing tools/sample/Makefile commands
   $ make
   /Users/twharmon/Development/LLVM/src/llvm-trunk/llvm/
Makefile.common:63: /Users/twharmon/Development/LLVM/llvm//
Makefile.config: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/Users/twharmon/Development/LLVM/
llvm//Makefile.config'.  Stop.

I'm stuck and would appreciate any help. Thanks,

Trevor

P.S. This is on Mac OS X with the current LLVM trunk.