[LLVMdev] glasgow haskell appears to be adopting LLVM

David Terei davidterei at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 15:55:05 PST 2010

Just to correct, the GCC back-end isn't being depreciated in favour of
the LLVM back-end (as much as I would to claim it was). The GCC back-end
has been on the list of things GHC developers wanted to remove for a
while now and the larger reason its being done now is that SSE support
has recently been added to the native code generator, fixing one of the
last advantages the C back-end had. LLVM and a new back-end architecture
that should land in GHC soon are somewhat responsible in that a lot of
GHC developers see them as the more promising and interesting future
than using GCC.

Oh by the way (probably should have posted this a while ago but just
lost track of it) here is my honours thesis paper that I wrote about the
LLVM back-end for GHC for the interested:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~pls/thesis/davidt-thesis.pdf

~ David