[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Reminder: 2.7 code freeze in 1.5 weeks

Holger Schurig holgerschurig at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 03:42:02 PST 2010

> I may have misunderstood, but I figured that Doug is suggesting
> to get known issues fixed so that clang++ might be ready for
> broader testing.

I read that clang-c++ can "barely" compile CMake, Firefox, Qt,
and even parts of Boost. Just with a debug compile (where the
debug info isn't the essential info, but the lack of
optimizations).

Now this two week delay would be used to get the optimizations
hopefully into a state where they don't suck anymore, e.g. where
Firefox doesn't crash when compiled with -O2. While this is
certainly nice and a pre-requisite for the "outcoming party",
it's the minimum that is necessary.

What I propose is to continue with LLVM 2.7 release as planned,
without c++ support. This way c++ get's some months for
development time. Those months can then be used to make
clang-c++ really nice, not just "barely usable, three apps
compiled and didn't crash immediately".

When LLVM 2.8 comes out, it's C++ support can be really nice, and
*THAT* will give a nice PR effect. An outcome party that is
worth visiting. Or more like a baptism where both the people in
the church and the angles in the heaves rejoice.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de