[LLVMdev] Labeling builds as Release/Debug (was: -version displays DEBUG on Visual C++ release build)

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Mon Feb 15 03:57:39 PST 2010

Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> writes:

> C:\llvm\bin>llc -version
> Low Level Virtual Machine (http://llvm.org/):
>   llvm version 2.6svn
>   DEBUG build.
>   Built Jan 31 2010(20:46:01).
>
>   Registered Targets:
>     x86    - 32-bit X86: Pentium-Pro and above
>     x86-64 - 64-bit X86: EM64T and AMD64
>
> I did specify the release build with cmake; the lack of crashing on
> exit of programs compiled therewith confirms that :-) As far as I can
> see, the reason for the incorrect reporting is in CommandLine.cpp:
>
> #ifndef __OPTIMIZE__
>         cout << "DEBUG build";
> #else
>         cout << "Optimized build";
> #endif
>
> According to a Google search, gcc sets __OPTIMIZE__ when -O2 or better
> is used, so presumably that's the intent of the above and the reason
> it doesn't work with Visual C++.

This doesn't seems right to me. A debug build is has debug symbols and
asserts enabled, while a release build has not. The activation of
optimizations doesn't imply a release build. A slightly better criteria
is the presence of NDEBUG, which is enabled by default on release builds
by configure and cmake, and has the advantage of being portable.