[LLVMdev] Jit singleton

Maarten Hoeben maarten.hoeben at avinity.net
Mon Feb 8 05:36:13 PST 2010

Hi!

Olivier Meurant wrote:

> Attached you will find a patch which follow your 1st option...

Is there any chance this patch (or a similar solution) will be in 2.7? This
would be a very useful for my application. I assumed one could have multiple
execution engines, however, from search this mailing list I get the sense
that a single execution engine will remain the preferred way of JITting
multiple modules.

My application is a server that uses LLVM to apply shaders to graphics. The
shaders are passed to the server along with the graphical material. The
shading language uses global values, and I assumed the way to achieve
separation (both in terms of concurrency as well as address space) between
the concurrent sessions was to instantiate multiple execution engines. The
singleton nature of JITResolver prevents this.

If this patch makes it in 2.7 (or any future release), I can for now use a
patched trunk until it makes it in an official release. However, if the
intend is not to support this, it is more productive to use the
ExecutionEngine as intended. It would be nice if the documentation provides
some information on the subject...

Thanks.

Maarten