[LLVMdev] Equivalent alignment of __attribute__((__aligned__))

Garrison Venn gvenn.cfe.dev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 12:01:11 PST 2010

Sorry as you interpreted I meant minimum alignment.

My issue is in translating from a C struct which has a member aligned with
__attribute__((__aligned__)) to a generated packed StructType where I use padding
to force the alignment of said member. Instances of this struct are placed on the heap
via malloc. Although I'm currently using static C code to determine the padding size, I'm trying
to avoid using such code since I'm not sure which llvm platforms don't support __attribute__((__aligned__)).
Knowing that malloc will give me an address aligned to any platform supported datatype, and knowing
this minimum alignment (which I believe is equivalent to __attribute__((__aligned__))), I could
calculate the above value. I'm currently using the alignment of long double instead.

Any recommended way of determining this value or doing the equivalent?

Garrison