[LLVMdev] Register allocation on IR

Andrew Clinton andrew at sidefx.com
Mon Dec 13 19:39:49 PST 2010

I'm wondering if there are any tools available to help with register
allocation directly on the LLVM IR.  I'm looking for something like
"reg2mem" but that will also allocate registers to all SSA values, and
that will attempt to both coalesce non-conflicting memory and minimize
the amount of copying due to PHI nodes.

Currently I've started working with LiveValues and a reverse post-order
traversal to linearly allocate registers, but I'm wondering if there are
more suitable tools that would be immediately useful for this problem.

Andrew