[LLVMdev] portable way to modify the FP register?

Salvador Abreu spa at di.uevora.pt
Mon Dec 13 13:47:03 PST 2010

Hi again,

On Dec 13, 2010, at 18:03, James Molloy wrote:

> To add to what Anton said, what if you're on a non-x86 target, or --no-frame-pointer is set?

for the moment we're only considering X86-64 targets and we're forcing the FP to be materialized (ie, -disable-fp-elim) to ensure we can be independent of what happens to SP.

btw, I can't think of any current ISA/ABI which doesn't have a frame pointer register...

> Also, I'm intrigued as to how you guarantee that in the intervening time between the coroutine/generator function bar() returning one result and the next invocation of bar(), foo() doesn't call another function and overwrite bar()'s stack frame?

the stack frame allocated by bar (called by foo) did not get released, and foo needs to use fp-based addressing.  bar's stack frame now occupies the top of the stack and this will be in effect when the subsequent functions get called, which will create new stack frames on top of bar's.

we're defining a new calling convention which expects certain calls' frames to linger (similar to coroutining)

cheers,
Salvador