[LLVMdev] Two more HLVM benchmark results and questions about Windows and .NET

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Sun Dec 12 07:14:47 PST 2010

To illustrate the value of value types to the OCaml community I recently did
a couple of benchmarks. The first was similar to a hash table and stores
key-value pairs unboxed in an array:

  http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/msg/8430ebdb687b9268

The second is the hailstone benchmark that the Haskell guys found gave huge
performance improvements when using LLVM from GHC:

  http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/msg/b62e9ba363cd10ee

Surprisingly, the hailstone benchmark shows HLVM not only generating code
32× faster than OCaml but even beating GCC -O3 by a significant margin!

Now that we've basically converted from Linux+OCaml to Windows+F#, I'm
wondering how much interest there would be in using LLVM from F#. How many
people are using LLVM under Windows? How well does it work? Are there
existing .NET bindings that would make my life a dream come true?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com