[LLVMdev] Undefined symbol in Hello pass

Ben Ransford ransford at cs.umass.edu
Thu Dec 2 19:21:25 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Scott Ricketts <sricketts at maxentric.com> wrote:
> I recently experienced the same issue as below with LLVM 2.8 on Mac OS
> 10.5.8. I can load the pass with the debug version of opt, but not the
> optimized version.

Same thing happens for me on ToT (Release+Asserts) under 10.6.5, with
"gcc version 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646) (dot 1)":

% opt -load lib/libLLVMHello.dylib
Error opening 'lib/libLLVMHello.dylib': dlopen(lib/libLLVMHello.dylib,
9): Symbol not found:
__ZN4llvm12FunctionPass14doFinalizationERNS_6ModuleE
  Referenced from: /opt/llvm/lib/libLLVMHello.dylib
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /opt/llvm/lib/libLLVMHello.dylib
  -load request ignored.

But 'make check' is clean for me.  I started a possibly related thread
a couple of weeks ago:

  http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2010-November/036289.html

... in which I griped about --enable-optimized breaking dynamically
loadable pass libraries.  I haven't found a solution yet.

-ben