[LLVMdev] RFC: Exception Handling Proposal Revised

Frits van Bommel fvbommel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 03:11:51 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Renato Golin <rengolin at systemcall.org> wrote:
> On 1 December 2010 09:46, Bill Wendling <wendling at apple.com> wrote:
>> Nor these. Basically, I want the basic block that's labeled a "landing pad" to be jumped to by only a dispatch resume or unwind edge of invoke. We could do this with the c.dtor and ch.int here, but it would mean inserting useless "cleanup dispatches" that only resume to the block (see onto.catch.handlers for an example).
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> All cleanups come from invoke's unwinds (from foo's call) and all
> catch handlers come from the main catch dispatch, so for that rule,
> they all should have it. Or that's what I understood... ;)
>
> Also, now I noticed a few things in your IR, could be just typos...
> (ie. I'm not being an ass, just checking I got it right) ;)

I think I can answer a couple of those...

> 1. Your BB flow seem odd in the try block. You call foo() four times
> and then call the Ctors, rather than interpolating them as in the
> source code (otherwise, all calls to foo should unwind to the catch
> area, not cleanups).

Those are destructor calls for the case where none of the foo()s
throw. There are no ctor calls because the classes have trivial
constructors, which are no-ops.

> 4. Your catch handlers return void, shouldn't then branch to %return
> instead? In this case, a front-end would probably call that label a
> "%finally" and that would branch to %return, or return directly.

He did say it was simplified IR. Just imagine -simplify-cfg already
did some tail duplication here.

> Which brings me to my final question: In languages where the finally
> HAS to run, like Java, would that be a simple cleanup regions or do we
> need something special from catch's dispatch's resume AND %finally
> block?

Presumably that would just be encoded as a catch-all to the finally
code followed by some encoding of a rethrow (e.g. an "unwind resume"
to the next enclosing region, an 'unwind' instruction or some form of
"resume_unwind()" call).
If there were also catches, they'd probably need to explicitly execute
the finally code (or if they again throw, have their unwind edges
point to a dispatch with a catch-all to the finally code).