[LLVMdev] [Query] Programming Register Allocation

Jeff Kunkel jdkunk3 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 13:20:42 PDT 2010

So I have a good understanding of what and how I want to do in the abstract
sense. I am starting to gain a feel for the code base, and I see that I may
have a allocator up and running much faster than I once thought thanks to
the easy interfaces.

What I need to know is how to access the machine register classes. Also, I
need to know which virtual register is to be mapped into each specific
register class. I assume there is type information on the registers. I need
to know how to access it. And a afterthought, does LLVM place casts into
different virtual registers, or do I need to include casting of floats to
integers or vice versa when I see ADD i32 float i32?

Thanks,
Jeff Kunkel