[LLVMdev] DSA Analysis

Kevin Streit kevin.streit at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 24 00:12:39 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm still using the release_26 version of Poolalloc/DSA with llvm 2.6 for my analyses and am currently trying to switch to llvm 2.7 for several reasons. I tried to use the trunk of the poolalloc svn repository with the llvm 2.7 release which is working fine for most of the programs I ran it on so far but for sqlite it's running into a stack overflow since it is endlessly looping in the BUDataStructure::calculateGraphs method (excerpt of the debugging output is attached).

Since it is actively worked on I'm not asking for a quick solution. I just wanted to send this for case this behavior is not expected and to ask if there is a revision for which the BU DSA is known to work at least stable in most cases such that I can work with llvm 2.7. Or is there any plan on when a stable version for 2.7 (or even better 2.8) will be available?

Anyway, thanks for your great work on llvm and dsa.

Cheers, Kevin

Excerpt of the debugging output:

Visiting single node SCC #: 355 fn: subjournalPage
  [BU] Calculating graph for: subjournalPage
    Inlining graph for mallocWithAlarm[14+5] into 'subjournalPage' [18+5]
    Inlining graph for memjrnlWrite[11+5] into 'subjournalPage' [20+8]
WARNING: Useless call site found.
WARNING: Useless call site found.
WARNING: Useless call site found.
Deleteing 0x1036e1318
Merged 4 call nodes.
  [BU] Done inlining: subjournalPage [18+8]
Recalculating subjournalPage due to new knowledge

Visiting single node SCC #: 356 fn: subjournalPage
  [BU] Calculating graph for: subjournalPage
    Inlining graph for mallocWithAlarm[14+5] into 'subjournalPage' [18+5]
    Inlining graph for memjrnlWrite[11+5] into 'subjournalPage' [20+8]
WARNING: Useless call site found.
WARNING: Useless call site found.
WARNING: Useless call site found.
Deleteing 0x1036e1318
Merged 4 call nodes.
  [BU] Done inlining: subjournalPage [18+8]
Recalculating subjournalPage due to new knowledge

.. and this repeats endlessly until my memory runs out ...