[LLVMdev] "Cannot fine DIE"

Devang Patel devang.patel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 17:58:50 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Talin <viridia at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently started getting this error when I try to debug my LLVM-compiled
> program in GDB:
>
>     Dwarf Error: Cannot find DIE at 0x16769 referenced from DIE at 0x1713c
> [in module
> /home/talin/Projects/tart/build-eclipse/test/stdlib/ReflectionTest]
>
> I'm not sure if it's something I did or not. Is there any way to track down
> the cause of this error? The hex addresses in the error message are
> meaningless to me.

There is not much info here. The error says one debug info entry (DIE) is
referring to another debug info entry that does not exist. This usually
indicates that dwarf generator in llvm codegen knew about the other DIE but
some how gdb does not find the DIE. May be the code generator did not emit
the DIE ? If yes then why ?  Otherwise, the DIE was dropped somewhere after
 compiler generated code.

-
Devang