[LLVMdev] Request information about LLVM for research

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 23 07:45:59 PDT 2010

Pwint Phyu Kyaw wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> As per request below, I want to use your LLVM project in my thesis and
> I have no idea where to start and I couldn't find any information
> about how to build my test programs with your infrastructure and get
> my required information.

Information on using LLVM can be found on the Documentation page on the
LLVM web site (http://llvm.org/docs/).  The "Getting Started Guide"
provides information on how to build LLVM and gives a simple example on
how to compile a program using LLVM.

> Is your tool is a testing tool? Can it accept program and test case as
> input and output like the input test case is cover which branch and
> which variables' def-use of the program?

LLVM is a compiler *infrastructure.*  You can use it to build program
analysis tools, compilers, JITs, and many other tools.  Some people
(including the people who wrote the paper you mentioned) use LLVM to
build prototype testing tools.  Some people integrate their code into
the LLVM project, some give their code away as separate modules that
work with LLVM, and some people don't release their code at all.

As far as I know, the authors of the paper you mentioned have not
contributed their code to the LLVM project.  You will need to contact
the authors of that paper and ask them if they are willing to give you a
copy of their code.  If they're not willing to give you a copy of their
code, then you will need to implement their tool on your own.

-- John T.