[LLVMdev] RFC: new intrinsic llvm.memcmp?

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 14:06:34 PDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Bagel <bagel99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I propose a new intrinsic "llvm.memcmp" that compares a block of memory
> for equality (a subset of the libc behavior).  Backends are free to use the
> alignment to optimize using wider than byte operations.  Since the result is
> only equal/not-equal, byte order is not important.
>
> For languages that support array compares, this would be very useful.
>
> Syntax:
>
>   declare i1 @llvm.memcmp(i8* <arg1>, i8* <arg2>, i32 <len>, i32 <align>)
>   declare i1 @llvm.memcmp(i8* <arg1>, i8* <arg2>, i64 <len>, i32 <align>)

The following would be preferred:
   declare i1 @llvm.memcmp.i32(i8* <arg1>, i8* <arg2>, i32 <len>, i32 <align>)
   declare i1 @llvm.memcmp.i64(i8* <arg1>, i8* <arg2>, i64 <len>, i32 <align>)

> Overview:
>
> The 'llvm.memcmp.*' intrinsic compares a two blocks of memory for equality,
> returning true if they are equal.
>
> Arguments:
>
> The first two arguments are pointers to the memory to be compared.
> The third argument is an integer argument specifying the number of bytes to
> compare, the fourth argument is the alignment of the two memory locations
>
> If the call to this intrinsic has an alignment value that is not 0 or 1,
> then the caller guarantees that both source pointers are aligned to that boundary.

I assume <align> is required to be a constant integer?

Also, I assume this is supposed to guarantee that arg1 and arg2 point
to len bytes of valid memory?

Most importantly, is the overhead of calling memcmp actually
significant for your application?  Are there enough other people in
the same situation to make this worth implementing?  This is unlikely
to provide significant performance improvements for C/C++ code...

-Eli