[LLVMdev] using external functions from llvm

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Thu Aug 19 22:37:08 PDT 2010

Alec Benzer wrote:
> The blog post I linked to implied that adding a symbol in the form
> lle_X_FUNCTIONNAME would allow you to call a function called
> FUNCTIONNAME. Is this not the case?

It is not. I haven't read the blog post, but I recognize the lle_X_
format as part of the internals of the llvm interpreter. If you were
modifying the internals of the interpreter, then this might work.

If you want to JIT (or even use the interpreter with libffi) and call
functions declared in your program, you write your function *normally*.
No renaming, certainly no GenericValue cruft. Please see the tutorial at
llvm.org/docs/tutorial/, in particular chapter 4 where they demo doing
exactly this.

Nick