[LLVMdev] LLVM Makefile MODULE_NAME error

Kyle T. Klein kyleklein at umail.ucsb.edu
Tue Aug 17 11:11:46 PDT 2010

Hi,

I am working on compiling vmkit but have run into an error which seems
like something that maybe the llvm community would have a better idea
of how to solve than vmkit's.

The issue is when vmkit is built to compile the MMTk garbage collector
it must use the llvm-gcc compiler, at which point MODULE_NAME is
defined instead of LIBRARYNAME. This results in the following error
message:

make[1]: Entering directory `/cs/student/kyleklein/vmkit/lib'
make[2]: Entering directory `/cs/student/kyleklein/vmkit/lib/Mvm'
make[3]: Entering directory `/cs/student/kyleklein/vmkit/lib/Mvm/Allocator'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target
`/cs/student/kyleklein/vmkit/lib/Mvm/Allocator/Release+Asserts/gcalloc.ll',
needed by
`/cs/student/kyleklein/vmkit/lib/Mvm/Allocator/Release+Asserts/gcalloc.bc'.
Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/cs/student/kyleklein/vmkit/lib/Mvm/Allocator'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/cs/student/kyleklein/vmkit/lib/Mvm'
make[1]: *** [Mvm/.makeall] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cs/student/kyleklein/vmkit/lib'
make: *** [all] Error 1

I am working on learning the Makefile system for LLVM now, but to my
(limited) understanding this seems to have something to do with
Makefile.rules in the llvm source tree. Anyone have any ideas as to
what could cause this?

I should also mention that Nicolas Geoffray doesn't see this error
when he compiles, and I have tried using the exact same distributions
as him.

Thanks for your help,
Kyle
--