[LLVMdev] "UNREACHABLE executed!" error?

OvermindDL1 overminddl1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 15:55:20 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Eric Christopher <echristo at apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Nick Lewycky wrote:
>
>> Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
>>> Hello

>>> Yes. Unions are pretty much broken and unimplemented. They can be
>>> removed pretty soon (say, after 2.8)
>>
>> We've never released with unions. Could we remove them for the 2.8
>> release instead of afterwards when they're part of our forever forwards
>> compatible bitcode format?
>>
>> Similar to what we did to the vfcmp and ficmp instructions maybe?
>
> I'm for it.  I thought I'd seen something to that effect anyhow.

Could you not just keep the IRBuilder instructions for the union, but
have it lower it to whatever the necessary IR code is?  Unions are
nice as you do not need to worry about the size, else you have to
figure out what size it needs to be if you handle it manually, and
sometime that is exceedingly difficult before code generation time,
causing a lot more code generation.