[LLVMdev] [RFC] Moving to Sphinx for LLVM and friends documentation (with partial implementation (in both 10pt and 12pt font)).

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Tue Aug 10 12:09:09 PDT 2010

OvermindDL1 <overminddl1 at gmail.com> writes:

> BoostBook is a simplification of DocBook, with many things specific
> for C/C++ source.  it can pull in parts of a source file so the doc
> examples always show examples of code that is actually tested, it has
> proper links to source code files, can integrate with doxygen with a
> bit of work, can export to html, pdf, and a few other things...  I
> like Sphinx, a lot actually, but BoostBook is more designed for this
> kind of project.

BoostBook/QuickBook is really cool but I found it nearly impossible to
use outside of the Boost tree.  In other words, a few years ago, at
least, it was intimately tied to the Boost project.  That may have
changed recently, I don't know.

I also really hate the way QuickBook chops up and represents pages.  The
Table-of-Contents + prev/next links format is really terrible.  It's
very difficult to navigate non-linearly.

The QuickBook language is really nice for specifying documentation so if
we can fix the output format and make it work outside of Boost I'd be
all for using it.

                            -Dave