[LLVMdev] Debugging Status on x86?

Jason Kim jasonwkim at google.com
Thu Aug 5 18:22:20 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I was under the impression that debugging support on llvm-gcc-4.2.1 +
llvm-2.7 was pretty complete (at least on x86 linux), but ran into a glitch.

First off, are there any docs that discuss the current state, in so far as
DWARF support is concerned?

The behavior I am seeing is the following:

llvm-gcc -g hello.c -o hello

produces a working executable with apparently complete debugging support.
(stepping

However,

llvm-gcc -g -c -emit-llvm hello.c -o hello.bc
llc hello.bc -o hello.s
llvm-gcc -g hello.s -o hello

seem to produce an executable that gdb7 has some issues with, such as
inability to examine variables... (but stepping/nexting seem to be okay, and
line numbers show up properly

So is this an llvm-gcc issue? or is this an issue with llvm itself?

I'm willing to help out on this, so someone please point me in the right
direction.

The most specific doc that talks about debugging was the
http://www.llvm.org/docs/DebuggingJITedCode.html
It seems to indicate that debugging support was at least partial.

Thanks.

-jason