[LLVMdev] Announcing: LLVM 2.8 Release Schedule

Bill Wendling wendling at apple.com
Wed Aug 4 11:45:27 PDT 2010

On Aug 4, 2010, at 6:01 AM, Török Edwin wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 23:57:05 -0700
> Bill Wendling <wendling at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Good news, everybody!
>>
>> It's that time of year again. We are going to release LLVM 2.8! I'm
>> taking over for Tanya to give her a much needed break. I can only
>> hope to perform as well as she has. This is my first time as release
>> manager, so bear with me if things don't go smoothly.
>>
>> This message is mostly to give you an idea of the schedule we're
>> planning on. It's an aggressive schedule, but one that I think is
>> doable:
>>
>> 8/6 - Branch
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> I think llvm.org should be updated with the new schedule too.

Hi Török,

I'll update that tonight. Thanks for reminding me!

>> Leading up to that date,
>> please make sure that the tree is stable – no regressions, etc. If
>> you have a major feature which must make it into 2.8, please check
>> them in by this time; the sooner the better.
>
> Only one for me is the patch to fix PR6758, since without it PPC JIT
> doesn't work for long-running applications at all.
> I have a new patch for it that I use in ClamAV, will try if it passes
> LLVM's make check (and PR6902) and commit it.

August 6th isn't the absolute last date for getting changes into the branch. But it is the date we want things to be stable for branching. As the release goes along, we will have stricter requirements for patches until only patches for regressions from 2.7 are allowed. So there is still time if you cannot meet the deadline.

> P.S. Would have been nice to know about this schedule more than 2 days
> ahead.

You're right, and I apologize for the short notice. Many things conspired to make this date the most desirable for branching. As I mentioned though, it won't be the last time changes can be submitted.

-bw