[LLVMdev] Books/docs on exception handling

Bill Wendling wendling at apple.com
Thu Apr 22 03:30:11 PDT 2010

Hi Trevor,

DWARF exception handling is an amalgam of several different documents and code tables, which all conspire to give us exception handling. :-) The documents you should read are:

* Exception Handling Tables (http://www.codesourcery.com/public/cxx-abi/exceptions.pdf)
  This explains in detail what the table in the "__TEXT,__gcc_except_tab" section is all about.

* DWARF Debugging Information Format: Version 3 (or 4)
  This explains the "CIE" and "FDE" tables and what their encodings means.

* http://www.codesourcery.com/public/cxx-abi/abi-eh.html
  As Eugene pointed out, this explains what the personality function and unwind libraries do.

Well, "read" might be a bad way of putting it. You should definitely familiarize yourself with each document. But I would look to understand why the FDE looks like it does or what the format of the exception handling table means (-fverbose-asm gives extra information to help with this).

For specifics on how LLVM generates this information, look at these files:

* lib/CodeGen/AsmPrinter/DwarfException.cpp
  This outputs the CIE, FDE, and exception handling tables.

* lib/Target/X86/X86RegisterInfo.cpp
  The "X86RegisterInfo::emitPrologue" method shows how it constructs the "machine move" information that's used to create the FDE.

The front-end parses and generates the exception handlers and landing pads. The implementation of the stack unwinder is normally in a separate library (libunwind on Darwin). But the "abi-eh.html" document should give you a good idea of how a typical unwinder and personality function should act.

Lastly, GCC has a different approach (in their IR) to generating the EH data. They have many good people working on it. I tried to find a link to a document that someone on the GCC mailing list wrote up describing the exception handling table in detail, but couldn't find it. You may want to search that posting out. :-)

-bw