[LLVMdev] Performing my own pass with a single command line?

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 19 07:11:59 PDT 2010

Dear Zheng Wang,

You have a few options:

1) You can add your pass to the set of passes that llvm-gcc runs when it
optimizes code.  This requires re-compiling llvm-gcc; it also means that
your pass must be able to run on incomplete programs and be run multiple
times over the same code (i.e., it cannot do whole-program analysis).

2) You can change the build system of the program you're working with to
generate an LLVM bitcode file.  It's the same as what you're doing now,
except that the program's Makefiles automate the task for you.

3) You can add your passes to libLTO
(http://llvm.org/docs/GoldPlugin.html and
http://llvm.org/docs/LinkTimeOptimization.html).  This will allow your
passes to be run at link-time by the linker.  This method takes some
time to set up, but it should work beautfully once set up.  Furthermore,
it can do whole-program analysis and optimization (the linker knows when
it is creating a final executable vs. an object file and can defer whole
program analysis and transformation until the final link stage).

-- John T.