[LLVMdev] FYI: Changing RunSafely.sh to only track user time

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 18 23:08:35 PDT 2010

Daniel Dunbar wrote:
> I am going to change the LLVM test-suite RunSafely.sh to only track
> 'user' time, instead of reporting 'user' + 'sys' time as it currently
> does. This will probably cause a spike in nightly test numbers,
> although hopefully it will be limited to the smaller tests.
>
> The eventual goal is to report all numbers (independently), so that we
> can control for noise better. However, until that happens it is better
> to track the most stable & interesting number.

First, you should be aware that the test-suite infrastructure is used by
the Automatic Pool Allocation and SAFECode projects for their testing
infrastructure.  It is also used by our internal research projects and
may be used by other research projects at other universities.  We use
this infrastructure for our research, so changes you make can affect us.

Second, why are you only interested in user time?  The reason why we had
RunSafely.sh measure user + system time is that it gives a more accurate
depiction of how well an optimization works.  If a program spends most
of its time in the OS, increasing speed in user-space doesn't gain us
much.  If a transform decreases user time but increases system time,
then measuring only user time may show a speedup when measuring
user+system will show a loss.

If noise is your concern, I think it would make sense to run the tests
several times and report averages and standard deviations.  System time
should only be reporting OS CPU time, so delays due to interrupts, I/O,
etc. should not affect the results.  User+System reported for several
runs should provide the most accurate evaluation of how well an
optimization is improving performance.

Third, IIRC, I think you can change the nightly testers to report just
user time by changing how they grab the time measurements in
TEST.nightly.Makefile.  I think the .time files created by the test
suite record user, system, and user+system, and the testing Makefiles
just grab the number that they want.

Fourth, if you are intent on changing RunSafely.sh to measure just user
time, why not add a feature that toggles whether to measure user+system
or user time and *then* change the default behavior to measure user
time?  That way, I can easily toggle it back.  What you've suggested
above (more or less) is to remove a feature, add a feature, and then add
back the feature you removed.  It makes more sense to me to add the one
feature you want and then to change the default behavior to use the new
feature instead of the old one.

-- John T.