[LLVMdev] eliminating dead functions

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 5 09:37:25 PDT 2010

shreyas krishnan wrote:
> Hi
>     I am wondering if there is way to eliminate functions that are not
> used after two files have been linked. Can the optimizer do it ? Or is
> there a way you can have it done while linking it self ?

I think there's an LLVM optimization to do this; however, it should only
delete functions with internal linkage.  Functions with external linkage
could be referenced and used by code that is linked in later.

The -internalize pass will change external functions to have internal
linkage, enabling this optimization.

-- John T.