[LLVMdev] Linking with C Library

Maxime Chevalier-Boisvert mcheva at cs.mcgill.ca
Sun Apr 4 17:24:00 PDT 2010

I tried running nm - D | grep "puts" on the binary compiled by the OCaml
compiler. It outputs the following:

08161b00 T camlRuntime__rt_fputs_208
08161a20 T camlRuntime__rt_puts_198
         U fputs

I'm assuming this means that fputs is linked dynamically, and puts is
not. I tried modifying my code to use fputs instead of puts instead, but
had no success, however, I still get:

LLVM ERROR: Tried to execute an unknown external function: i32 (i8*,
i32)* fputs

There has to be some way of telling LLVM to get some symbols
dynamically. What's rather frustrating is that the OCaml LLVM tutorial
seems to be doing exactly what I want:

http://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/OCamlLangImpl4.html

They define some "extern" functions by using "declare function", which
are then linked dynamically by the JIT. Unfortunately, this is already
what I'm doing, and I can't seem to spot what they are doing differently!

- Maxime